Monday, June 9, 2014

A Fun E-Mx Comparison

 

It has been a long time since my last post, and I am sorry for for not giving prior notice, but I have been traveling ever single weekend for the past month, and I still have a couple more weekends to go, this kills any spare time I have for posting here, but I am able to squueze some time to share a few fun photos with you. As you might notice, I don't have my regular signature on the photos, and the photos are larger than usual (do click them to see a larger version), the reason is that I have prepared all this post on the iPad, the collages in this post (with the grungy color effects below) were prepared using Autodesk's Pixlr+ app, resized to 2500px, and uploaded and posted using the Blogsy app.

I took these photos on the day I recieved my E-M1, using the Sony RX100 (oh, I want to post about the mk3, but that's for later), while I still had my E-M5, I asked my friend who bought it to keep it for one extra day to take a few side-by-side shots. On the top you can see how the E-M1 with the 12-40 compares to the E-M5 with the 12-50, the major differences are the grip size, and the thickness of the lens, I always thought the 12-50 was wierdly skinny given its length, and it didn't look good on the E-M5, the 12-40, on the other hand, looks like it was born with the E-M1, and matches it perfectly. So what happens if we reverse lenses?

 

 

Well, the E-M1 looks silly, and the E-M5 looks dwarfed, come to think of it, I would like to try the 12-40 on the Panasonic GM1 and take a picture of it.

 

 

In the photo above, you can see how tiny and silly the 45 f/1.8 looks on the E-M1, I took out the lens hood and tried it on, and now it looks much better. The same goes for the 25 f/1.4, while it looks fine on the E-M5 without a lens hood, it looks positively small on the E-M1, but with a lens hood mounted, the statement is reversed, great looking on the E-M1 while too large for the E-M5.

 

 

That's it for now, I hope you enjoyed this post, and I shall resume regular service in a couple of weeks at the earliest.