Saturday, May 11, 2013

Think Twice Before Buying Another Apple Product

Last year, I bought an iPad 3 for my wife.  A couple of days ago, the iPad started rebooting every 5 minutes or so, rendering it unusable.  It kept doing that despite my attempts to reset it to factory settings.  I don't know what caused it.  It may or may not have started acting strangely after the most recent iOS update (I'm not sure because my wife is the one who uses it).  Anyway, I brought it to an Apple store and the 'genius' told me that it was just over the 1-year warranty period and there's nothing they can do to fix it.  They did not even bother to try.



Now, literally, yes the warranty is only 1 year.  But we sure as heck did not spend $829 + tax for an iPad thinking it will be totally unusable after 1 year, and I don't think anyone who buys one expects that either.  I mean if I buy a cheap made in China product from eBay and it fails after a few months or a year, I sort of expect that.  That's why they're cheap.  But is Apple saying that their products are in the same category as those disposable products?  Seriously?  Perhaps they should do a better job of publicizing that.

The thing is, we have bought an iPad before (1st gen).  It worked well and continues to work well, that's why we got the iPad 3.  I also have an iPhone 4 that still works.  But after this sour experience, I can't trust Apple's quality anymore for its new products.  Perhaps their factory started producing things a little too fast, or under a little too much time pressure, or with less trained workers, or perhaps with slightly cheaper materials.  Whatever it is, I have lost faith in Apple products.  To me, I see it now as just another electronics company that produces disposable electronics, and therefore does not deserve the price premium that Apple demands for its products.

To Apple's credit, the 'genius' did offer the 'opportunity' to buy another iPad 3 for $299 + tax.  I sure as heck didn't want to buy another one, but what choice did I have?  I either had to take the ~$900 loss or spend the $299 and hope that it would not also fail.  They told me that the replacement was brand new not refurb.  But they just handed me the unit with no box (they did not take it out of the box in front of me).  So I have no way of knowing if they were telling the truth.  And the warranty on the replacement was going to be just 90 days not the 1 year warranty for new units.  So, yes we could be out another $300 eventually.  Who knows.  I do know that I will probably not buy another Apple product again.

Sorry for the rant but I hope you learn from my mistake.

8 comments:

  1. Do you buy an extended warranty with Apple before your original warranty expired?

    Personally if I was going to buy an Apple product I'll go all the way and buy that Apple warranty so that a low paid kid at the Genius Bar can help me out.

    I recommend that to all of my friends and relatives who buy Apple products --- I don't want to deal with the stuff for free when they break down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great suggestion. I used to think it was unnecessary but yes if i had to buy apple again i think the extended warranty would be a good idea.

      Best regards,
      Mic

      Delete
  2. They'd be smart to take care of their customers a little better. Especially one who writes a fairly popular blog. Seems like everywhere I go now, I'm getting treated a little better as a customer. People are figuring out in tight economic times, the customer is king. Well, most companies anyway.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point Richard, about taking care of customers. Hopefully companies wise up.

      Best regards,
      Mic

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry for you. Luckily we have a two year warranty by law. :-) And sometimes you can get even more. When you buy an item it should be usable for an acceptable time. And buy a new ipad every year, is not acceptable :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about your story, Mic. Nowadays electronic manufactures have very precise control when failure happen. This reminds me my first HP laptop fails exactly after 3-yr warranty expired. My experience with Apple has been positive, dealt with them twice for my MBP (got AppleCare for it).

    Mic, one thing you can look into in case you are not aware is a lot of credit cards offer "extended warranty" for electronics (generally one year on top of manufacture's warranty). You may look at the benefits of the CC you used to purchase iPad, there might be a surprise. I used CC's extended warranty on a failed motherboard 2 years ago, no problem at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you check the credit card on which you did the purchase? Some credit cards offer extended warranty (extra year) as a perk. Discover and Amex surely does.You can call the credit company anyway and ask them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the great suggestions I'll check the card I used.

    Best regards,
    Mic

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. It will be published as soon as we get a chance to review it, sorry for that, but we get lots of spam with malicious links.