Saturday, May 4, 2013

A Couple of Thoughts

OMD + Panaleica 25 f/1.4, 1/1250, f/1.8, ISO 200

This will be a shortie, I was processing some pictures from a recent outing, and the picture you see above is my favorite from the day, sometimes that Panaleica 25 amazes me with its rendering. There is just enough shallow depth of field, but with a discernible background which gives you the sense of the whereabouts of this picture, and the soft sunset lighting gave it that special touch.

The other thought is how well the OMD sensor accepts shadow pushing, I rarely pushed the shadows beyond +20 or something in lightroom with my Canons, and I was always amazed at how much Mic used to push the shadows on his pictures, but now I understand why, with such tolerance, you can get away with so much shadow pushing without showing noise or banding.

Below is one of the pictures to demonstrate what I mean, here is the shot straight out of camera:

OMD + Olympus 40-150, 1/1250, f/4.4, ISO 200

The picture was taken at 2:30 pm, as you can see from the harsh light and the deep shadows, below is how it looks like after tweaking the sliders a bit:

Highlights: -47, Shadows: +88, Blacks: -26

A dramatic improvement, and with zero noise or banding, I am re-learning post processing with the OMD. However, this comes at a cost, highlights latitude/recovery on the OMD is quite bad, nowhere near as good as the 5D2 or the 5D3.

2 comments:

  1. Nice shot, my friend. I like the contrast between the shallow DOF and the sharpness of the subject.

    Best regards,
    Mic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely images. Yes, the Pana 25 is amazing, I really enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. It will be published as soon as we get a chance to review it, sorry for that, but we get lots of spam with malicious links.