Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Photoshop Elements 10 Depth of Field Effect


I tried out Photoshop Elements 10's depth of field effect on the shot above.  It's a big improvement over the original shot:

The original shot.  What's with the evil eye, lady?
This is one effect that I can't pull off in Lightroom.  To create the appearance of a shallow depth of field with PSE 10, I used the guided mode to walk me through the steps.  First, I used a selection brush to identify the subject.  Next I clicked on the button "add blur."  Finally I dragged a lever to determine the intensity of the effect.  It's a pretty simple process, although a similar result can probably be achieved using a gaussian blur with a layer mask.

2 comments:

  1. Nicely done Mic, I tried Alien Skin Bokeh once and I liked what it can do, the secret is trying to be "subtle", like you did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Good point my friend!

    Best regards,
    Mic

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. It will be published as soon as we get a chance to review it, sorry for that, but we get lots of spam with malicious links.