Monday, September 20, 2010

Choice of web album

Ever since I was uploading photos online, I had always chosen Picasa Web Albums. There were a number of reasons for this:
- I liked the free Picasa photo-processing application for its ease of use and decent post-processing capabilities.
- Uploading to Picasa web albums via the Picasa application is very convenient and lets me have a smoother workflow.
- I like the Picasa web album interface. I think it's user-friendly and provides a lot of information.
- It's easy to post links to Picasa album photos.
- Picnik is now more integrated with Picasa, facilitating the editing of photos on Picasa web albums through an edit button.

Recently however, I decided it was time to switch to the 800-lb gorilla of web albums (at least for consumers), Flickr. I really dislike Flickr's interface. I find it very clunky, scattered and hard to find commands. I also think its uploader is primitive compared to Picasa.

However, Flickr has active pools and discussion groups (including Strobist) and, to my awareness, seems to have a wider user base than any other web album, which makes it easier to share photos not only with friends but with other people. I also find it easier to search for photos on Flickr -- there seem to be many more photos that are tagged there.

So, going forward, I'm going to use Picasa for blogging photos, and Flickr for my web album.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. It will be published as soon as we get a chance to review it, sorry for that, but we get lots of spam with malicious links.