Monday, August 27, 2012

Update

Hi everyone. Here are some of the upcoming posts I'm working on.
1. Aputure Gigtube Wireless II. Last week I showed a photo that I took about 10 feet high from where I was standing. I was able to do that by using the Aputure Gigtube Wireless II, a wireless monitor that you can connect to some DSLRs to get remote live view and shutter capabilities. What's cool about it is it allows me to take photos from unusual angles. Almost like having the power to levitate or shrink yourself when you take photos. That's the promise it holds. But I've been doing a few tests and it's more challenging to use than I had anticipated. Some have to do with the unit, some with the camera's inherent limitations, and some are just plain photography issues. I believe the issues can be resolved but I'm still working on it. So the jury's still out on this one. I wouldn't rush out to get one just yet.
2. Yongnuo YN-560EX (EX600). I posted my initial tests last week. I'm still waiting for the flashmeter to be returned from repair but I'm suspecting it is much weaker than advertised. I also don't know if my inability to control group B with my popup is a manufacturing defect or an inherent issue with the 560EX. Will post a more comprehensive review asap.
3. Aokatec wireless TTL. Aokatec recently released a radio-based wireless TTL system that supplements your existing IR-based wireless system by detecting the electromagnetic noise from the commander flash's pulses, sending out the signal as radio, then translating it into IR for receivers. It sounds similar in principle to the Radiopopper PX. At $110 for a transmitter/receiver kit and $55 for each additional receiver, it appears to be the cheapest radio-based wireless TTL system out there. I'm very tempted to get one but am somewhat concerned about whether they can truly deliver. I've never heard of Aokatec before. Lightingrumours.com is about to review it, so I'd like to see that review before deciding whether to get one.
4. Nikkor 24-70. I have more shots now with this lens but most of my recent shots have been with APS-C cameras, which is not really the intended market for this lens. I was thinking of postponing the review until I get a full frame camera again (either a D600, D800 or D700) but I may split it into two posts - a review for APS-C and another for full frame.
5. Nikkor 28-105 3.5-4.5. I've had this lens for a while but haven't done a review of it. This may be a good alternative for someone looking for macro capabilities on a budget.
6. Nikkor 70-200 VR vs. Sigma 50-150.
7. Spyder Express monitor calibration.
8. Choosing a budget laptop for photography.
9. Review of Dodging and Burning e-book.
10. Review of Ming Thein's Photoshop Workflow tutorial.
I often change my mind as to which post to work on next and sometimes I get too busy to work on posts, so consider subscribing to our feed (such as through Google Reader) or twitter account (@betterfamilypix) to get notified of new posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. It will be published as soon as we get a chance to review it, sorry for that, but we get lots of spam with malicious links.