Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Annie Leibovitz: Life Through A Lens (DVD)

I rented this DVD on Netflix with the goal of learning something to help improve my technique. I didn't learn much in terms of technique but found it inspiring nonetheless to learn the story of the life and career of one of the most important and successful photographers in the world.

Some of Annie's works are shown in the video, although it's hard to fully appreciate them without having the time to reflect on them and savor the beautiful details in her photos. Here's a link to some of the photos shown in the video:
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters/episodes/annie-leibovitz/photo-gallery/19/

In terms of technique, I learned these:
1. During Annie's photojournalistic phase while working at Rolling Stone, she became completely immersed in and part of each subject's world, which removed any natural barriers the subject had to being photographed, and allowed her to offer a perspective that is otherwise invisible to the outside world.

2. When Annie created celebrity portraits for Vanity Fair, she put a lot of care into each portrait, treating each one as a work for posterity. I may not have the production budget that Annie has but seeing my work product this way inspires me to rack my brains to produce my absolute best.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. It will be published as soon as we get a chance to review it, sorry for that, but we get lots of spam with malicious links.